Here’s a recipe that I’ve adapted from “The Zuni Cafe Cookbook” by Judy Rodgers.
Cauliflower and Bacon Pasta
Recipe type: Main
- 1 cup Bread crumbs
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ head Cauliflower
- 1 Eschallots (sliced thinly)
- 1 tbsp Capers (chopped)
- 4 Bacon rashers
- 6 Garlic cloves
- 1 Red chilli (diced)
- 2 tbsp Parsley (chopped)
- 4 tbsp Black olives (sliced)
- Toss bread crumbs in a few teaspoons of olive oil. Spread on a baking sheet and back at 220 C for about 5 minutes.
- Fry bacon rashers, dice and put to one side.
- Peel and slice eschallots and sauté gently in a little olive oil. Slice cauliflower thinly lengthwise. Keep cauliflower crumbs aside. Place stems and larger floret pieces in pan with eschallots and increase heat to medium. Cook for about 3 minutes. Add a little salt and a little more oil and gently stir. Don’t over-stir as you want the vegetables to crisp. Add capers and bacon swirl the pan. Let the pan sit until the contents go crispy.
- Cook the pasta of your choice - penne, spaghetti, orecchiette, fusili or medium shells.
- Peel and coarsely chop garlic. Lightly pound fennel seeds in a mortar and pestle.
- Add garlic, fennel and chilli to pan with some more oil if needed. Cook for another 3 minutes. Add parsley and olive until warmed through. Toss with pasta and breadcrumbs and top with some grated parmesan cheese.