This is an excellent summer ice cream dessert that I concocted the other day – a variation on a passionfruit recipe in our ice cream maker’s recipe book.
Orange and Passionfruit Ice Cream
Author: Craig Mitchell
Recipe type: Dessert
- 3-4 Passionfruit
- 3 tbsp Orange zest
- 1 Egg
- 1 Egg yolk
- ¾ cup Milk
- 2 cups Cream
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 2-3 tbsp Grand Marnier
- ⅓ cup Macdamia Nuts
- Beat egg and egg yolk together. Warm milk and cream in saucepan on low heat. When it starts to bubble, add sugar and stir until it dissolves. Roast or toast the macadamias and crush roughly.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Add a little of the cream mixture to the egg. Whisk well until blended. Pour back into hot cream mixture and continue to whisk until it thickens and reaches 80C. Take off the heat and stir through 1 tbsp orange zest while it is still warm.
- Allow to cool and refrigerate for at least an hour, or snap cool it in the freezer. It needs to be really cold before you make your ice cream.
- Add the ice cream mixture to an ice cream churn along with the Grand Marnier (or Cointreau). Towards the end of the mixing add the pulp of 1-2 passionfruit.
- Serve topped with more passionfruit, orange zest and crushed macadamias.